Belongings to be moved in should be limited in size and number. We ask that you only bring essential belongings that could easily be taken with you in the event that the university should have to close suddenly in response to COVID-19.
When packing your belongings, make sure you can easily access what you would need for a minimum 10-14 day period in the event that you are exposed to COVID-19 or test positive and will need to be moved to quarantine or isolation housing. Items you would
need include: enough clothing, toiletries, and medications for at least 10-14 days; computer, charging cords, textbooks, and other items you may need to begin coursework online; bedding and towels (will be provided), a pillow, and any other items you will need to be comfortable for the first two weeks.
Calling card or cell Phone and Charger
Cleaning Supplies (including paper towels)
Clothes and shoes that can get dirty (for Service First and other projects you may get involved in)
Comforter, Blankets and Pillows
Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Dry Erase Board & Markers
Envelopes and Stamps
First Aid Kit
Hammer and Tools
Hangers, Shoe Rack and Plastic Hooks
Health Insurance Information
Heavy Winter Coat
Laundry Bag and Detergent
Power Strips and Extension Cords
Shampoo and Body Wash
Sheets (Twin, Extra Long)
Shower Shoes and Shower Caddy
Towels (MORE THAN 1!)
Other Items To Consider:
Bike and Bike Lock
Energy Star Computer and Printer (and paper!)
Cups, Plates and Utensils (try using real plates and utensils to reduce paper and plastic waste!)
Desk Chair Cushion
Extra Shelving Units, Crates, Plastic Containers, Filing Cabinet
Small Energy Star Refrigerator (no larger than 4 cubic feet)
Sponge and Dish Soap
Suit and/or Semi-Formal Attire for special events you may attend
Energy Star TV (and DVDs and Videos)
Under-bed Storage Bins
- Talk with your roommate(s) prior to packing so you can avoid bringing duplicate items.
- Save the boxes you bring your stuff in for when you have to pack up again in May
- Memorize your room number and MSC number right away
- You can do a lot of shopping after you arrive and have seen your room. See below to download a list of popular places for students to shop in St. Louis.
- Order items ahead of time from the Bed, Bath & Beyond or Target in your hometown, and pick them up in St. Louis.
Things to Avoid
Electric Appliances with Exposed Coils
Gas Grills or Charcoal Grills
Pets (other than fish)